Something to avoid.

My friend Jodi came by to bring me some very happy yellow balloons and pick up picture of Libby and as we were standing near the front door, she saw this next of black widow babies that had just hatches about a foot away where my head was. Talk about 2 women freaking out! After 2 phone calls made to men and no answer, we bravely approached them with a can of Raid and a shoe and drowned than first in foam and crushed and smeared them along the brick just to make sure.
I’m so glad you came by, Jodi!!

1. Jessica Cheatwood said . . .

wow, thats spooky, beautiful picture but creepy!

Posted February 28, 2009 at 2:24 pm | Permalink
  2. Ashley said . . .

photos like that make me so mad! good job channeling that fear and anger.

Posted February 28, 2009 at 2:38 pm | Permalink
  3. Madison said . . .

Thanks for saving my life, mom. I cant believe that you saw baby black widows. it gives me the chills to thin about those things.

Posted February 28, 2009 at 3:00 pm | Permalink
  4. Mar said . . .

I’m scared just looking at them!

Posted February 28, 2009 at 4:51 pm | Permalink
  5. Katie Goss said . . .

EWWWWW. I am still so creeped out by those! When I got bit it really did a number to my body. I was really sick for a really LONG time. May I recommend a nice spring extermination session inside and outside your home?

Posted February 28, 2009 at 6:32 pm | Permalink
  6. Gracie said . . .

ewww! This makes my skin crawl! I have no idea what these are but I would have completely freaked out too!! The picture on the other hand is so interesting and its ability to display this in such detail is great! Thanks, I think for sharing! HAHA!

Posted February 28, 2009 at 6:39 pm | Permalink
  7. jodi said . . .

O.k. So seeing them up close like this really freaks me out more…and I can see that they are not Black widow babies. Who’s babies are they? that remains the question. Anything with red on it’s body has to be bad, so , we still did a service to humanity:) Anyone have a clue what these are???

Posted March 1, 2009 at 7:35 pm | Permalink
  8. Nana said . . .

Creepy I don’t like that! You were too brave or too silly to even take the pictures!
    Mama

Posted March 3, 2009 at 6:10 pm | Permalink
  9. Vicki Culbreth said . . .

Hi Shawna,

It looks like these are wheel bug nymphs (“teenage” insects before they reach the adult stage). The thing in the middle of the photo are the eggs. As adults, they are beneficial because they eat garden pests, but the bite can hurt.

These definitely aren’t spiders – spiders have 8 legs and only 2 body parts, whereas insects have 6 legs and 3 body parts (the front pair of “legs” you see here are actually the antennae).

Posted March 4, 2009 at 11:10 am | Permalink
  10. Nana said . . .

Raymond, Mr Smarty Pants, says they ain’t spiders anyway, cause ALL spiders have “8” legs. These creepy critters have “6” legs & “2” antennae which makes em creepy little insects. Mr. Smarty Pants says “Looks like they’re some sort of ants or related creepy critters.” Still pretty dannnnnnng silly takin pictures of creepy critters with red backs.
    oxoxo Mama