A Bribe for all Brides.

Ok. Here it is. I’m back and feeling WAY better, thanks for all the well wishes. I’m heading off to Haiti again Monday morning for another week and this time it’s an even bigger adventure. We are planning to attempt an 8 hour hike to a remote villiage (for real, there are no roads!) to contact a pastor who is taking care of the people and help in whatever way we can. I realize it sounds a little crazy after just being in a serious accident less than a month ago but when I set my mind to something, I’m not easily moved. (just ask my husband) I’m willing to endure a little pain if I need to in order to make a difference, to have an adventure, to impact someone’s life….to LIVE TODAY and not put anything off until a more convienent time because who knows if we even have tomorrow or not.
It’s about making a difference today.
I know that times are difficult right now, money is a little tight and you know that you’ve been wanting to do another photo session to document how your relationship has grown and how you’ve influenced him to wear those cool shirts you like so much. But how can you afford a photo shoot with me? After all, it would be $500! Here’s how.
Donate your wedding dress.
In an effort to continue to raise money in new and innovative ways, Bethel Mission Outreach is venturing into the wedding business. In Haiti. There are couples who plan their weddings just like we do here, only not so elaborate, but every bride has the same dream…to take his breath away. So I was talking to Pastor Gary and he asked me, “How can I get wedding dresses and tuxes for a good price?” So I suggested doing a trade. I’ll do the work, you get great photos, and 200 kids in Haiti get fed and cared for while attending school every day. Oh. and some lucky lady gets to feel like a princess in your dress. It just makes you feel good, doesn’t it?
So here’s the deal. You give me a wedding dress, and I’ll give you a rockin photo shoot with at least 50-knock-your-socks-off photos on a CD that you can print all you want. I’ll even throw in an online slideshow to share with your favorite peeps.
Pregnant? No problem, I love Maternity shoots. Have a new baby? Those are my favorite. Need a big family shoot? The more the merrier! Want to do something special for your ____? Bring it on!

Come on…trade in something that you’ll never wear again for something that will last a lifetime.

1. Ashley said . . .

to encourage Utah people I have added a little incentive on my bloggity.

Posted March 13, 2009 at 1:44 am | Permalink
  2. Lori Lou said . . .

I gave Gary my wedding dress a few years ago. Katie can pick out her very own when the times comes…or if she decides to. :)

I’m linking you!

And I love you! If I don’t see you before Monday, know that I love you and will have all of you in my prayers! So excited!

Posted March 13, 2009 at 9:30 am | Permalink
  3. Laurie Thalman said . . .

I’m sorry, I rented a dress when I got married. That might sound tacky, but it only ran me $25.00. If I can donate other clothing…like some of John’s pants(he has too many) I am so willing and ready. Let me know if you need other items.

Glad you are feeling better.

Posted March 13, 2009 at 11:05 am | Permalink
  4. Katy said . . .

Will you come to Florida? :)

Posted March 13, 2009 at 11:41 am | Permalink
  5. Shawna said . . .

I should clarify that I will travel within the Atlanta perimeter.

Posted March 13, 2009 at 12:31 pm | Permalink
  6. Amy Thorpe said . . .

Shawna, I will be happy to donate mine, especially for this! I also have a bridesmaid dress and some shoes to match if you guys want them. Love ya and thanks for doing this!

Posted March 13, 2009 at 12:44 pm | Permalink
  7. Brinsley said . . .

you are hilarious. i have plenty of b-maid dresses if you want some! let me know!

Posted March 13, 2009 at 1:15 pm | Permalink
  8. Nikki said . . .

Would you like bridesmaid dresses as well?

Posted March 13, 2009 at 2:00 pm | Permalink
  9. Meg in SLC said . . .

Shawna—okay I would so travel to you. However–no wedding dress for me to give :(

Posted March 13, 2009 at 6:19 pm | Permalink
  10. Courtney said . . .

Hey Shawna,
    I will be happy to give my dress. :) Love ya!- Court

Posted March 13, 2009 at 6:37 pm | Permalink
  11. Mar said . . .

hmmmm sounds tempting

Posted March 13, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Permalink
  12. April Shinn said . . .

I will gladly give you my dress and anything else that you need to help out for your trip..I loving HELPING OTHERS in ALL ways that are possible! Let me know…..I am working on a couple of other for you as well!

Posted March 13, 2009 at 11:20 pm | Permalink
  13. Cindy said . . .

I’m happy to donate mine! Let me know where to send it and is there a deadline date? I have the flu right now, but as soon as I’m well, I’ll FedEx it to you! Send me details of where to send it. cdjr4@cox.net

Posted March 14, 2009 at 11:29 pm | Permalink
  14. Melanie said . . .

this is a beautiful idea Shawna. What can i donate? paper to be printed for invitations? anything you want just ask. LOVE Melanie

Posted March 16, 2009 at 2:11 pm | Permalink
  15. ron storer said . . .

way to go Shawna…will be praying for you:)

Posted March 17, 2009 at 1:57 am | Permalink
  16. Jessica Cheatwood said . . .

me, possibly joy and jen are sending our!

Posted March 20, 2009 at 1:35 am | Permalink
  17. Andrea Brock said . . .

Jodi Hitt told me about this…and I would LOVE to donate my wedding dress! What a great idea! I have a bridesmaid dress that still has the tags on it that I can donate as well. I’ve seen your work and I am sooo excited for you to take pictures of my family. Thank You!!! andreabrock22@yahoo.com

Posted March 24, 2009 at 11:17 am | Permalink
  18. jodi said . . .

Great idea! All you have to do is say Haiti in our house and things will happen:) I am spreading the word. Do you need tuxes also? I have pictures for you to see from Troy’s trip over! love ya.

Posted March 24, 2009 at 11:36 am | Permalink
  19. Gracie said . . .

What a great idea! And what a great reward for doing something wonderful! I have my wedding dress that I would love to donate. Jodi told me about this and it is a perfect situation for everyone… Thanks for offering it and Thank you for what you do in Haiti!

Posted March 26, 2009 at 8:28 am | Permalink
  20. Bindu said . . .

I am excited about this! I never intended to keep my wedding dress after I got married because I felt like it would be a waste of a beautiful dress. I also LOVE your photography but couldn’t afford it for our wedding. Would it be possible to do a shoot with me and my fiance with me wearing the dress and then giving it to you?

Posted April 3, 2009 at 6:53 pm | Permalink
  21. Rebeca Allsop said . . .

I am interested in donating my wedding dress. I got married two years ago and have been meaning to get rid of it. Just let me know the details.

Thanks. Beca